Connect with us

Berita Teratas

Vietnam: How this country of 95 million kept its coronavirus death toll at zero

Published

on

Motorbike riders with face masks are stuck in traffic during the morning peak hour on May 19 in Hanoi.

To skeptics, Vietnam’s official numbers may seem too good to be true. But Guy Thwaites, an infectious disease doctor who works in one of the main hospitals designated by the Vietnamese government to treat Covid-19 patients, said the numbers matched the reality on the ground.

“I go to the wards every day, I know the cases, I know there has been no death,” said Thwaites, who also heads the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City.

“If you had unreported or uncontrolled community transmission, then we’ll be seeing cases in our hospital, people coming in with chest infections perhaps not diagnosed — that has never happened,” he said.

So how has Vietnam seemingly bucked the global trend and largely escaped the scourge of the coronavirus? The answer, according to public health experts, lies in a combination of factors, from the government’s swift, early response to prevent its spread, to rigorous contact-tracing and quarantining and effective public communication.

Acting early

Vietnam started preparing for a coronavirus outbreak weeks before its first case was detected.

At the time, the Chinese authorities and the World Health Organization had both maintained that there was no “clear evidence” for human-to-human transmission. But Vietnam was not taking any chances.

“We were not only waiting for guidelines from WHO. We used the data we gathered from outside and inside (the country to) decide to take action early,” said Pham Quang Thai, deputy head of the Infection Control Department at the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology in Hanoi.

By early January, temperature screening was already in place for passengers arriving from Wuhan at Hanoi’s international airport. Travelers found with a fever were isolated and closely monitored, the country’s national broadcaster reported at the time.
By mid-January, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam was ordering government agencies to take “drastic measures” to prevent the disease from spreading into Vietnam, strengthening medical quarantine at border gates, airports and seaports.
On January 23, Vietnam confirmed its first two coronavirus cases — a Chinese national living in Vietnam and his father, who had traveled from Wuhan to visit his son. The next day, Vietnam’s aviation authorities canceled all flights to and from Wuhan.
As the country celebrated the Lunar New Year holiday, its Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc declared war on the coronavirus. “Fighting this epidemic is like fighting the enemy,” he said at an urgent Communist Party meeting on January 27. Three days later, he set up a national steering committee on controlling the outbreak — the same day the WHO declared the coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern.
On February 1, Vietnam declared a national epidemic — with just six confirmed cases recorded across the country. All flights between Vietnam and China were halted, followed by the suspension of visas to Chinese citizens the next day.
Over the course of the month, the travel restrictions, arrival quarantines and visa suspensions expanded in scope as the coronavirus spread beyond China to countries like South Korea, Iran and Italy. Vietnam eventually suspended entry to all foreigners in late March.
A Vietnamese People's Army officer stands next to a sign warning about the lockdown on the Son Loi commune in Vinh Phuc province on February 20.
Vietnam was also quick to take proactive lockdown measures. On February 12, it locked down an entire rural community of 10,000 people north of Hanoi for 20 days over seven coronavirus cases — the first large-scale lockdown known outside China. Schools and universities, which had been scheduled to reopen in February after the Lunar New Year holiday, were ordered to remain closed, and only reopened in May.

Thwaites, the infectious disease expert in Ho Chi Minh City, said the speed of Vietnam’s response was the main reason behind its success.

READ  Quick Charce 5 Qualcomm Bisa Isi Baterai Hingga 50% dalam 5 Menit

“Their actions in late January and early February were very much in advance of many other countries. And that was enormously helpful … for them to be able to retain control,” he said.

Meticulous contact-tracing

The decisive early actions effectively curbed community transmission and kept Vietnam’s confirmed cases at just 16 by February 13. For three weeks, there were no new infections — until the second wave hit in March, brought by Vietnamese returning from abroad.

Authorities rigorously traced down the contacts of confirmed coronavirus patients and placed them in a mandatory two-week quarantine.

“We have a very strong system: 63 provincial CDCs (centers for disease control), more than 700 district-level CDCs, and more than 11,000 commune health centers. All of them attribute to contact tracing,” said doctor Pham with the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology.

A confirmed coronavirus patient has to give health authorities an exhaustive list of all the people he or she has met in the past 14 days. Announcements are placed in newspapers and aired on television to inform the public of where and when a coronavirus patient has been, calling on people to go to health authorities for testing if they have also been there at the same time, Pham said.

A woman stands in a queue to provide a sample at a makeshift testing centre near the Bach Mai hospital in Hanoi on March 31.

When the Bach Mai hospital in Hanoi, one of the biggest hospitals in Vietnam, became a coronavirus hotspot with dozens of cases in March, authorities imposed a lockdown on the facility and tracked down nearly 100,000 people related to the hospital, including medics, patients, visitors and their close contacts, according to Pham.

READ  Figo Domori dikirim ke A.C. Frank Lampard menjelaskan mengapa Chelsea mengizinkannya bergabung dengan Milan

“Using contact-tracing, we located almost everyone, and asked them to stay home and self quarantine, (and that) if they have any symptoms, they can visit the health centers for free testing,” he said.

Authorities also tested more than 15,000 people linked to the hospitals, including 1,000 health care workers.

Vietnam’s contact-tracing effort was so meticulous that it goes after not only the direct contacts of an infected person, but also indirect contacts. “That’s one of the unique parts of their response. I don’t think any country has done quarantine to that level,” Thwaites said.

All direct contacts were placed in government quarantine in health centers, hotels or military camps. Some indirect contacts were ordered to self isolate at home, according to a study of Vietnam’s Covid-19 control measures by about 20 public health experts in the country.
A roadside barber donning a face mask gives a haircut to a customer in Hanoi.

As of May 1, about 70,000 people had been quarantined in Vietnam’s government facilities, while about 140,000 had undergone isolation at home or in hotels, the study said.

The study also found that of the country’s first 270 Covid-19 patients, 43 percent were asymptomatic cases — which it said highlighted the value of strict contact-tracing and quarantine. If authorities had not proactively sought out people with infection risks, the virus could have quietly spread in communities days before being detected.

Public communication and propaganda

From the start, the Vietnamese government has communicated clearly with the public about the outbreak.

Dedicated websites, telephone hotlines and phone apps were set up to update the public on the latest situations of the outbreak and medical advisories. The ministry of health also regularly sent out reminders to citizens via SMS messages.

READ  Juventus A.C. untuk menandatangani Brasilia-Jovef.com. Maju melampaui Milan

Pham said on a busy day, the national hotlines alone could receive 20,000 calls, not to count the hundreds of provincial and district-level hotlines.

A propaganda poster on preventing the spread of the coronavirus is seen on a wall as a man smokes a cigarette along a street in Hanoi.
The country’s massive propaganda apparatus was also mobilized, raising awareness of the outbreak through loudspeakers, street posters, the press and social media. In late February, the health ministry released a catchy music video based on a Vietnamese pop hit to teach people how to properly wash their hands and other hygiene measures during the outbreak. Known as the “hand-washing song,” it immediately went viral, so far attracting more than 48 million views on Youtube.

Thwaites said Vietnam’s rich experience in dealing with infectious disease outbreaks, such as the SARS epidemic from 2002 to 2003 and the following avian influenza, had helped the government and the public to better prepare for the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The population is much more respectful of infectious diseases than many perhaps more affluent countries or countries that don’t see as much infectious disease — Europe, the UK and the US for example,” he said.

“The country understands that these things need to be taken seriously and complies with guidance from the government on how to prevent the infection from spreading.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *

Berita Teratas

Michael Carrick mengungkapkan reaksi Cristiano Ronaldo setelah dijatuhkan melawan Chelsea

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo melewatkan tur Manchester United minggu lalu di Chelsea (Getty)

Michael Garrick memuji Cristiano RonaldoReaksinya setelah dia ditinggalkan Manchester UnitedHasil imbang 1-1 dengan Chelsea pada hari Minggu.

Pemain berusia 36 tahun itu secara mengejutkan mulai bermain di bangku cadangan untuk perjalanan United ke Stamford Bridge. Marcus Rashford Dan Jadon Sancho Sebagai dua penyerangnya.

Chelsea mendominasi penguasaan bola, tetapi tidak mampu mencetak gol ketika gol pembuka Sanchez, Jorgenho, mencetak gol dari titik penalti.

Ronaldo, sementara itu, masuk pada menit ke-64, tetapi membuat sedikit dampak dalam permainan.

Namun meski diturunkan untuk pertandingan, Carrick yakin reaksi Ronaldo adalah ‘sempurna’.

“Ada banyak hal yang perlu Anda pertimbangkan saat mengambil keputusan dalam memilih tim,” kata Carrick.

Cristiano Ronaldo tidak mampu membuat dampak dari bangku cadangan saat bermain imbang dengan Chelsea dari Manchester United (Getty).

“Beberapa pemain membawa barang ke meja, pemain lain membawa barang lain ke meja. Anda memiliki kebugaran, kelelahan, kesegaran, taktik, dan di dalamnya ada kepribadian dan karakter.

‘Sepertinya keputusan besar tapi sungguh, di antara kita [for] Saya pribadi, tidak. Tanya Cristiano. Cara dia menjawab benar-benar tepat.

Dia luar biasa di ruang ganti dan dia mendukung para pemain. Saya masuk ke dalam untuk pembicaraan kelompok paruh waktu saya dan dia melakukan pemanasan 10 menit sebelum babak kedua datang. Saya pikir itu bisa membuat banyak dan memutarnya secara negatif tetapi kenyataan di balik layar sangat berbeda.

Carrick pun menolak saran Ronaldo yang tak bisa ditekan.

“Mungkin itu mitos, mungkin memang begitu,” kata Carrick.

Dia telah bermain di tim yang cukup selama bertahun-tahun dan sukses. Dia bisa bermain dalam berbagai cara dan telah mencetak gol untuk setiap tim tempat dia bermain, dan dia akan terus mencetak gol, tidak diragukan lagi.

Dan untuk cerita seperti ini, Lihat halaman olahraga kami.

Ikuti Metro Sport untuk berita terbaru Facebook, Indonesia Dan Instagram.

READ  Kembar tiga yang baru lahir di Meksiko semua tes positif untuk virus corona
Continue Reading

Berita Teratas

Djokovic mengundang para pemimpin G20 untuk mengunjungi Kawasan Konservasi Rawa Bali

Published

on

Saya pikir komitmen itulah yang kami tunjukkan sekuat yang bisa kami lihat dalam praktik. Kami akan memanggil 20 kepala negara di sini nanti

Jakarta (Andara) – Presiden Joko Widodo (Djokovic) akan mengundang para pemimpin G20 untuk mengunjungi kawasan konservasi mangrove di Bali pada KTT G20 2022.

Kepala Negara ingin menyampaikan komitmen Indonesia untuk mereklamasi dan merehabilitasi hutan bakau dalam menghadapi perubahan iklim dan dampaknya.

Seperti yang terlihat di kanal YouTube Sekretariat Presiden, Djokovic mengunjungi hutan mangrove di Bali. Kamis.

“Ini menunjukkan komitmen kami untuk mereklamasi dan merehabilitasi hutan bakau di negara kami, serta mereklamasi arang dan lahan vital,” tambahnya.

Berita Terkait: BRGM menanam rawa untuk memperingati Hari Menanam Pohon Nasional

Hutan mangrove merupakan kawasan yang menyerap dan menyimpan emisi karbon, sehingga mengurangi laju pemanasan global.

Selain itu, Presiden akan meninjau infrastruktur lainnya pada Kamis, seperti jalan pejalan kaki, jembatan, dan banyak lokasi lain di kawasan Bali, Nusa Tua tempat KTT G20 akan diadakan. Presiden ingin meninjau langsung lokasi para pemimpin G20 selama KTT.

G20 adalah forum global yang terdiri dari 19 negara dan Uni Eropa, yang akan diselenggarakan mulai 1 Desember 2021 hingga 30 November 2022. Presidensi G20 dipegang oleh Indonesia, yang menyumbang 80 persen dari produk domestik bruto (PDB) dunia. Dan 75 persen ekspor dunia.

Berita Terkait: KTT Politeknik G20 untuk menekankan pentingnya restorasi mangrove

Presiden Djokovic mencontohkan Indonesia mencakup lebih dari 20 persen lahan basah dunia, seluas 3,3 juta hektar, terluas di dunia. Dia berbicara pada KTT G20 di Roma, Italia pada 30-31 Oktober 2021.

Menteri Lingkungan Hidup dan Kehutanan Citi Nurbaya, Menteri Pekerjaan Umum dan Perumahan Rakyat Basuki Hadimuljono, Menteri Perhubungan Pudi Karya Sumathi, Sekretaris Negara Pratikno dan pejabat terkait lainnya juga terlibat dalam peninjauan infrastruktur.

READ  Kembar tiga yang baru lahir di Meksiko semua tes positif untuk virus corona

Berita Terkait: Presiden Kunjungi Organisasi G20 di Bali

Berita Terkait: Widodo menggarisbawahi tiga pusat kepresidenan G20 Indonesia

Continue Reading

Berita Teratas

Indonesia adalah salah satu dari 5 negara dengan penurunan Pemerintah-19 terbesar

Published

on

Jakarta. Menteri Komunikasi dan Informatika Johnny G. Plate mengumumkan pada akhir pekan bahwa Indonesia adalah salah satu dari lima negara dengan penurunan jumlah pasien Kovit-19 terbesar, dan mampu mempertahankan tren ini untuk waktu yang lama. Ini harus menjadi insentif untuk mengikuti protokol kesehatan secara teratur, terutama menjelang musim liburan akhir tahun.

“Indonesia telah berhasil di lima negara yang mampu secara signifikan mengurangi dan mempertahankan kasusnya [this progress] Untuk waktu yang lama. Bersama India, Filipina, Iran dan Jepang,” kata Johnny, Sabtu.

Indonesia telah mengurangi kasus Pemerintah-19 sebesar 99,3 persen dari puncaknya dan mempertahankan tren ini selama 130 hari. Saat ini ada 2.564 kasus di Indonesia, yaitu 26.126 kasus, jauh lebih rendah dari titik terendah pada tahap pra-pemberontakan.

“World Health Organization menobatkan Indonesia sebagai negara hijau dengan nilai tukar kurang dari 2 persen,” kata Johnny.

Menurut Menkeu, pencapaian luar biasa ini merupakan hasil kerja sama tim semua.

“Setiap upaya setiap individu – sekecil apa pun – berkontribusi terhadap penurunan ini. Ketika kegiatan dibuka kembali, kita harus terus meningkatkan kesadaran kolektif dan upaya pengendalian diri masyarakat dalam menghadapi epidemi.” kata Johnny.

Pencapaian ini juga menunjukkan bahwa Indonesia telah menerapkan kebijakan yang tepat untuk memerangi epidemi, yaitu Pengendalian Tingkat Masyarakat (PPKM), 3T (pengujian, pelacakan, pengobatan), peningkatan mobilitas vaksin, dan disiplin protokol kesehatan.

“Kami akan menganggap pencapaian ini sebagai motivasi, tetapi kami tidak boleh mengurangi keamanan kami, terutama ketika kami memasuki liburan Tahun Baru dan Natal, yang dapat meningkatkan mobilitas penduduk. Ada risiko kasus akan meningkat karena kurangnya peraturan kesehatan yang ketat,” kata Johnny.

READ  Gedung Putih akan membagikan jutaan rekaman COVID-19 dengan Lattom, Afrika, Asia

Pemerintah telah menetapkan sejumlah aturan untuk membatasi pergerakan orang selama liburan. Misalnya, pemberhentian cuti bersama. Pemerintah juga telah melarang liburan selama Natal dan Tahun Baru.

“Namun dukungan publik sangat dibutuhkan agar kebijakan tersebut berdampak optimal. Kita semua akan menjaga Indonesia dengan disiplin mematuhi protokol kesehatan dan aturan akhir tahun, agar kita tidak menghadapi gelombang ketiga seperti Eropa,” kata Johnny.

Continue Reading

Trending